On May 4th, the Commission announced the five selected projects for the 25 million euro call for the development of "lighthouse demonstrators" of the New European Bauhaus (NEB). Funding will be used by projects to delve deeper into issues such as building renovation, circularity, arts, cultural heritage, education, smart cities, and urban and rural regeneration. This will create more sustainable, inclusive and beautiful spaces in places across the EU and involve citizens in the green transition at local level.
These are the five demonstrator projects taking place in 13 countries:
1. CULTUURCAMPUS (Cultuurcampus: a sustainable center for art, research, learning and community as a catalyst): The aim of the project is to transform the deprived urban area of Rotterdam South (NL), taking into account the lived experiences of its residents. The culture campus thus becomes a hub of education, research, politics and culture.
2. NEB-STAR (New European Bauhaus STavangeR): The core of the project is the integration of the principles and values of the NEB in Stavanger (NO), Prague (CZ) through the territorial transformation plans. NEB-STAR addresses four iconic challenges related to carbon neutral cities, taking into account local needs and concerns through co-creation with residents and stakeholders.
3. NEBhourhoods (NEBhourhoods): NEBhourhoods has set itself the goal of preparing the Munich-Neuperlach (DE) area for the future in terms of the European Green Deal in the areas of the built environment, circularity, mobility, energy, nutrition and health. Both the strengths (a strong sense of community, extensive green spaces and spacious apartments) and weaknesses (above-average unemployment and below-average level of education) of the project are taken into account.
4. DESIRE (Designing the Irresistible Circular Society): Climate change, biodiversity loss and resource problems are the challenges facing societies and cities. In this regard, the project wants to explore alternative ways of territorial transformation in different cities (DK, NL, SI, IT, LV) based on the three main themes of inclusiveness, circularity and reconciliation of cities with nature.
5. EHHUR (EYES HEARTS HANDS Urban Revolution): ENHUR supports cities and residents in transforming their built environment in seven locations (DK, EL, BE, PT, TR, HR, IT). The focus is on socio-economic and cultural challenges such as social segregation, energy poverty and the degradation of the depopulated.
Over the next two years, the innovations will help guide the way for other NEB actions and provide opportunities for replication and inspiration. For more information, look here.